Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Another Wednesday, Another Blog Post

In FE8B Science we have started to make our "Skills Levers". I'm not quite sure what they will end up doing, probably something to do with "skills", but I am sure they will be interesting and cool. To make the lever, each group had to measure out and cut (with Dustless Cutters) 8 pieces of wood and then glue them together in a certain layout. We also had to drill a few holes (using a Hand Drill) in order to push a skewer through and make the fulcrum for the lever to move on. I would try to explain what the lever looks like, but it's kind of difficult and I wouldn't want to confuse you. I would probably confuse myself, too... Anyways - making the lever was fun, even though using the tools sometimes was nerve-wracking because you don't want to mess up and ruin the project for your whole group. Everything turned out fine though. Well actually, now that I think back on it, there's kind of a funny story that happened:
To drill the holes, you have to make a dent in the wood where the drill bit will go in (called a pilot hole) first with and awl. An awl is a tool that has a sharp point used for making pilot holes. Anyways, a girl in my group was making a pilot hole, but Mr. F said she needed to push harder on the awl. Even after she started pushing harder, Mr. F was still not happy and decided to show her how to do it. Then, he basically smacked the awl REALLY hard and split our wood in half. (Everything was okay though after some Wood Glue). I'm sorry to be telling this story to everyone Mr. F, but that was pretty hilarious, I'm not going to lie. :)
Well that's all for now.
Until next Wednesday,
-K

No comments: