Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while...

Hi everybody!

So I haven't written in a while. The week before the break was so hectic I just couldn't find the time before I left... and then obviously I was away last week. And yesterday was crazy. And I am about to go to basketball so I will try to do this quickly. But enough with the excuses.

In Math we have started a new unit: Probability. So far we have learned about Tree diagrams, possible outcomes, theoretical probability, and experimental probability. This unit really applies in life, as we can use it the same way we would use percentages. If there is a survey going on, someone could guess that 15 our of 45 girls would say purple or pink is their favourite colour. So using the theoretical probability formula, we can find the TP of a girl having the favourite colour pink or purple.
TP= favourable outcomes / possible outcomes
= 15 / 45
= 0.3333
= 33.33%
The theoretical probability of a girl saying their favourite colour is pink or purple is 33%.
So now, we can predict that if we interviewed 150 girls, 33% of them would say pink or purple is their fave colour. That would equal 50 girls. That is the theoretical probability.
Then, let's say, you interviewed said 150 girls and 37 of them liked pink or purple. That would be an experimental probability. So, let's use the formula.
EP= times event occurs / tries
= 37 / 150
= 0.2467
= 24.67%
In this situation, the experimental probability of the event happening is 24.67%.
So, that is the difference between TP and EP. TP is a guess; how many times an event should happen. EP is how many times the event actually does happen.

In Science we started a new project on how much water our household uses. I will tell more about that next week.

I got to go now. My mom's yelling for me to come.

Until next time I blog (probably Wednesday but you never know...)
-K

No comments: