Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pythagorean Theorem and some other stuff...

Hey everyone!

So I'm sorry I haven't blogged in a while... My Easter weekend was so hectic! But still fun! Because I got candy! :)

Anyways, we started a new unit in Math about the Pythagorean Theorem. Now, I know that seems like just some long words (or at least that's what it sounded like to me at first) but it is actually a very interesting theory that is quite relevant.

The theorem has to do with right-angle triangles. Basically, what it helps you do is find the length of the hypotenuse (or side opposite the right angle) as long as you know the measures of the other two sides. The formula is a2 ('a' squared) + b2 = c2. Here is an example triangle:

...Okay never mind the "Add Image" button isn't working...

Well, let's imagine a right-angle triangle that has one side (a) of the right-angle 3cm, and the other (b) is 4cm. We want to find out what the length of the hypotenuse is. So, we use the formula.
a2 + b2 = c2
Then, we solve it - you will notice that it is the same way we would figure out the value of a variable (c) in algebra.
(3)2 + (4)2 = c2
9 + 16 = c2
25 = c2
square root of 25 = square root of c2
square root of 25 = c
5 = c
The length of the hypotenuse in this triangle is 5cm.

**This formula can only be used to find the measures of a right-angle triangle.

In Science, we started a sub-unit on electric circuits, gear trains, batteries, motors, and all that kind of stuff. At the end of the unit, we are going to build a car that we are going to race. I was planning on showing you diagrams of the circuits we have worked on, but that darn image button isn't working. Oh well, I guess I will show you next week.

So..
Until next week,
-K

No comments: