Wednesday, November 19, 2008

FE8B

Hello Everyone,

This blog post will have to be short, as it was my dad's birthday today and I had a basketball game so I only got the chance to write now.

Yesterday, we tested our Rube Goldberg machine for the last time. It worked pretty well, but we had to help it out towards the end of the machine. We also only got about half way across the classroom while our goal was the whole way, but that's OK. The compound pulley system my group and I made worked very well, so I was happy with that. Overall, I think the system should have been higher up so we had more speed, energy, and area to move downwards. The lever wasn't as strong as it could have been because the pulley only could drop about a foot onto the effort arm of the lever due to our lack of space. However, all in all the machine worked better than I had thought it would and I learned a lot from the experience.

In Math we started a new unit on drawing 3D cubes and buildings made of cubes on isometric dot paper. We have also been learning how to draw front, side, and top views of 3D shapes. I think that these skills will come in handy later in our lives, especially if we become an architect, interior designer, etc. I am looking forward to the rest of our unit!

Until next Wednesday,

-K

No comments: