Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Life in FE8B

Hello all,

So, on Monday we used the clickers for a science test. It worked pretty well, although I personally got kind of distracted once and pressed the wrong button... I think that's the only bad thing about the clickers - once you enter your number you can't take it back. So I will be sure next time to triple-check that I pressed the correct button.
We are almost finished with our Rube Goldberg machine! All the groups have finished their parts, now we just have to put it all together and test it. I am very excited to see how it plays out! By the way, our compound pulley system wasn't working last week because the rope we used was too big for the edge of the disk, and would always fall off. Also, we weren't using an actual weight, just an empty container, on our bottom wheel so it was not supported and kept falling off. However, we have gotten it to work now so I am happy.
We had our Math unit test on circles today. I found it pretty simple. Once you understand the formulas for circumference and area you are pretty well set to go. But, I may be overestimating myself as I have no idea what I got. I will have to wait and see.
Another big thing today was that we had to hand in our Research Papers in Science. The paper was on our simple machine we are building for the Rube Goldberg (mine was pulley, obviously). We had to write the basics of our machine, explain about a company in Ontario that uses it every day in their work, and then write how the company would function without it. I did mine on PCL and how they use a compound pulley in their cranes and hoists to lift materials and people up the side of the building. It was interesting to look into how simple machines are used in real life. It was a fun project.
Well that's it for now.
Until next Wednesday,

-K

No comments: